Tuesday, September 24, 2013

fall is in the air




I really love this time of year.
The humidity is for the most part, a thing of the past.
It's just chilly enough for cozy sweaters and fall fashion.
I love cooking inside again.
Nothing against my barbecue, but nothing beats the smell of something delicious baking in the oven.
And what's not to love about all the amazing produce at this time of year?
Bring on the squash, apples, pears, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and pumpkin. (just to name a few)

I also love the return to routine.
Having a regular schedule always makes me feel more balanced and together.
It's still a busy time of year, yet things also feel like they are slowing down a little bit after the whirlwind of summer.
I've actually found a few seconds minutes here and there to reflect and actually think about my life.

I was compiling a bunch of photos to be printed for a school project that lulu is working on and it made me realize how fast it all goes by.
The beginning of each season tends to reiterate that even more.
The older I get, the faster the days tend to disappear.
It's as though it was yesterday and Lulu was in grade one and then I blinked and now she's in grade three.
How the heck did that happen so quickly?
Even scarier is that the pre-teen days are right around the corner...shudder...

So I'm going to try to savour every moment this fall.
Get outside as much as possible, breathe in the fresh crisp air, pause long enough on the walks home from school to let Lulu stop to collect the colourful fallen leaves.
Hold her hand tightly while I still can.
Curl up with a good book in front of the fire, watch less t.v. (that's what winter is for...not to mention only one more week left of Breaking Bad!!...sniff sniff)
But most of all just be in the moment.
Because before I know it all the leaves will have fallen and I'll wonder where did the autumn go..





Even if something is left undone, everyone must take time to sit still and watch the leaves turn.
Elizabeth Lawrence






1 comment:

Gabriella said...

I absolutely love fall! And yes crazy how the older our kids get the time seems to speed up for some reason..Gr 3!!