Friday, February 29, 2008

Collingwood-vise


I'm all about embracing all four seasons and winter is no exception.
Otherwise what the hell am I doing living in Canada?
But after a particularly loooong snowy, cold winter we decided to book a trip to Miami and have a little mini reprieve from all the salt, sleet, mountains of snow and multiple layers of winter gear.
The bags were packed and the hotel was booked.
But twelve hours before our flight, my ears were still plugged and I still felt like crap.
So after a doctor recommended not flying unless absolutely necessary, otherwise risk severe pain or possibly re-rupturing my eardrum which could lead to permanent hearing loss, we decided to cancel our trip.
As much as I love not hearing big daddy snoring each night, my hearing is not something I think I would enjoy living without.
Such a bummer.
But we kind of knew that there was a chance that I might not be able to fly when we booked the trip 2 weeks ago.
I felt like such a heel when Lulu asked about the palm trees and the beach.
She couldn't wait to wear her new bathing suit and water wings.
Argh.
So big daddy and I moved onto plan B.

who needs it to be in the upper twenties to swim outside?
and yes that is a pile of snow in the background.
Why let this little setback stand in the way of enjoying a little family getaway?
so we quickly unpacked all the summer clothes and repacked with extra warm winter clothes.
If we couldn't fly south then we would drive north.
So we ended up here.



We were pleasantly surprised and ended up having such a great time.
Our room was large and cozy with a warm fireplace and kitchen.
We also had our own loft bedroom and lulu had her own room as well.

So perfect when we put her to bed at 7 each night.
There's something to be said about a little privacy while on vacation with the whole family.
The kitchen was really handy when it comes to travelling with a two (almost three) year old.
Though Lulu requested "room service" on the first day there.
She is definitely related to big daddy.
But I brought up all kinds of healthy snacks, lunch stuff etc. so it was nice to not have to eat at restaurants three times a day.
did I actually just say that?
times have certainly changed.
We really enjoyed the outdoor pools, hot tub and warm sauna.

Lulu was a little fish and basically started swimming on her own in about the first ten minutes in the water.
Nothing like catching snowflakes on your tongue while learning to swim.

The resort was nestled in a little ski village- no skiing this year, Lulu is still a bit small for her own skis, but next year for sure...
But there were plenty of other things to do.
An outdoor play park, a central fire pit to warm up, shops and lots of restaurants to choose from.
All of which is only about two years old and a two hour drive.
Everything was very family friendly, yet very relaxed and not over-the-top-kiddie-ville.
A highlight for Lulu was the frozen maple syrup on a stick.


she was in heaven.
We felt ultra Canadian at that moment.
Oh Canada...our home and native land.....la laa laa.
And although we weren't sitting on a beach in Miami making sandcastles we ended up having such a great time.
In some ways we probably had an even more relaxing time than if we had gone to Florida.
No going through customs, no luggage hassle or flight delays or exploding eardrums or need for sunscreen...so hey not such a bad trade.
Everything for a reason I guess.

That's not to say that if my ears ever clear that we will re-book and eventually be soaking up the sun in South Beach hopefully sometime in the near future.

7 comments:

amanda said...

Oh! That looks like such a great trip! We've been talking about going someplace like that for years. Glad to hear that you were able to have a little getaway after being sick for so long. Sounds like a great trip even though it wasn't South Beach.

Gabriella said...

Love love the pictures and it did sound way better than going to Miami! I defintely bookmarked the hotel for a future stay someday!

That picture of Lulu swimming while there's snow in the background cracks me up. And I've never tried maple syrup like that before.

motherbumper said...

I love Plan B (b/c I'm a Canada junkie) - now I want to go swimming in the snow.

Oh and good call on the flight, I flew back from the UK and ruptured my eardrum. It was the most painful thing outside of childbirth. For real.

Sarah said...

Plan B looks like it was a total party! I am intrigued by the frozen maple syrup...

Mommy Jo said...

The petite gourmand blog is adorable. Lulu est très belle and your photos are very simple, classy and vogue. I will be checking in - time permitting with 2 kids around me 24/7 - to see how la petite is doing.

Bonne soirée,

htpp:theeppfamily.blogspot.com

Don Mills Diva said...

Wow - what a wonderful alternative. Intrawest has done a great job at Collingwood - it's a great little get-away.

kittenpie said...

OMG swimming in the snow looks awaesome! Not to mention syrup on a stick... mmm. Loooove maple syrup.