Sunday, April 17, 2011

Ommmm



A few weeks ago we were walking by a new yoga studio in our neighbourhood and I noticed that they offer Family Yoga Classes.
From a very early age Lulu has always shown an interest in yoga.
I'm not totally sure where that comes from as I really don't practice yoga on a regular basis.
There has been many a morning that I have found her in her bedroom doing sun salutations on her blankie.
I kid you not.

As for me, the past few years I can count on one hand how many times I've been to a class.
Not that I don't like Yoga, it's just that for the past several years I've been mildly obsessed with kickboxing and weight/cardio training.
Yoga, not so much.
I love the adrenaline rush I get from high intensity classes and I love being able to move to music and work up a good sweat.
I also love the "me time" and I really find it helps burn off stress.
Above all, I love the good friends I've made and look forward to the laughs and female camaraderie that I get from being a part of an all women's gym.
Okay that... and the instructor isn't too hard on the eyes either.

That being said, I think I'm hitting a bit of a work-out plateau.
I'm averaging between 4-6 hours of high intensity workouts per week and I'm really not seeing any noticeable results.
Now my main reason for exercise isn't really just all about changing my physical appearance.
Because let's face it, regardless of how many classes I do, that muffin top is here to stay.
I know my genetics.
and maybe I also have a wee addiction to 2 bite brownies.
mmm just finished one right now in fact.
But whatever, I still love kicking it each week, jelly belly and all.

What I'm not loving is the aches and pains I feel ALL the time.
I think I have actually been pushing myself too hard and I'm not really sure that's a good thing.
So maybe it's time for a change?

Anyhow long story short, Lulu asked me if we could do a yoga class together.
So we did.
I skipped my beloved 2 hour Saturday morning kick-boxing class and did the downward dog with my little lady.
And I have to say, I'm so glad that I did.
We had so much fun and I can't believe that yoga studios all over the city don't offer family yoga classes.
Such a great thing for kids to be involved in.
It reminded me how much I enjoy yoga and also how badly I needed a good stretch.
Not to mention it's still a good workout, but just in a different way.
We didn't really do any serious deep breathing or anything like that- it was with 5-10 year olds after-all, but it was so nice to move and mostly to feel so connected to Lulu.
I'm so glad that she asked me to take her to a class.
I might just have to make it a regular Saturday morning thing.
Change is a good thing.

Now does anyone happen to know of any yoga studios with cute male instructors?
Just curious...
Namaste.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

This made me smile. My eldest (9) took an early shine to yoga and still does it on her own. I am a lapsed-yoga-er, but she has inspired me to get going again. Good stuff.

kurrabikid said...

We found a 'Kinder Yoga' DVD at the secondhand shop a couple of years ago - I love to watch E do it. Many chuckles at his contortions!

Sonia said...

So cool that the two of you are taking classes together.

If you find a yoga studio with a cute male instructor, do share!