Thursday, December 27, 2007

can we say water retention?



When I woke up this morning I noticed that it hurt to make a fist.
Not that I was making a fist because of any anger issues.
Life is pretty good in fact.
It's just that my fingers resembled ten swollen Vienna sausages.
Then I slowly made my way into the washroom and noticed my face looking a bit puffier than usual.
Hmmm...maybe it was the large Saki I had while out for sushi on boxing day.
Or perhaps the two mid afternoon mojitos I had at the neighbours earlier in the day.
I couldn't say no...even though I usually reserve mojitos for a mid summer night.
Why wait until june? it's the holidays after all.
or maybe it was the cranberry & pear Bellini's we had on Christmas morning.
Or perhaps the Absolute Ruby Red on Christmas eve, or the two glasses of wine with dinner, or the Bailey's on the rocks as a night cap.
did I actually just say night cap?
The point is, I can't believe how much booze can be consumed during the holidays.
Not that I'm exactly a tea total-er throughout the rest of the year, it's just that it's so easy to feel like having a bit of holiday "cheer".
Obviously I wasn't the only one feeling this way, given the huge line ups at LCBO.
At least I haven't been totally abusing my body- I have made it to the gym a few times and we have been bundling up and going for nice long (sobering) walks and I'm at least trying to avoid too many fattening foods.
well with the exception of the trifle that I made for dessert on Christmas eve.
It wasn't great.

should have made the rum and date puddings with warm pouring cream (pictured above) that I made last year.
They were much better.
Then again, keeping with my theme-rum does seem to make everything taste better.
Anyhow, I plan on hitting the gym in the morning and trying to detox a bit- well that is until we have some friends for dinner on the weekend.
Ah yes, then there's New Year's eve..
then after that I am so on the wagon.
All I can say, is that my liver and I are very glad the the holidays only come once a year.
until then..cheers!

3 comments:

Don Mills Diva said...

I'm having a glass of wine right now (my third) - once January 1st hits I will get back on track. What's Christmas without booze?

Betsy Mae said...

I'm having a glass of wine tonight too...except it's after Jan 1st! I didn't drink as much as I usually do over the holidays but boy I sure ate ALOT. I feel bloated and gross but my last day is probably tonight...depends what I buy at the grocery store tomorrow! Happy New Year, it's so good to come back to catch up on all your posts...and Lulu's sweet pics!

metro mama said...

The liver is evil and must be punished!

Happy New Year, PG!