Thursday, April 30, 2009

baby threads



So my brother, his wife and 2 month old baby (my first and only niece) arrived this morning from Taiwan.
He has been living there for over 7 years but decided that Canada might be a better place to raise his daughter- so he moved back.
I have mixed emotions about this.
On one hand I am excited that Lulu will have a cousin near by and more family is always good.
Especially considering her current only child status.
My mom will have her two granddaughters close by as well.
I'm hoping that now that my brother is a father- that he will change his party-frat/boy attitude and we can get to know each other a bit better.
maybe even find that we have a few things in common.

But I have to admit- I am also nervous.
It's been pretty peaceful for the most part for the past 7 years.
No drama during the holidays or tense family gatherings.
I get along really well with my parents and am very protective of them.
In the past my brother and parents haven't always seen eye to eye.
Same with the two of us.
He hasn't really been very inclusive or open about his life over the past decade- regardless of how many times we have reached out to him.
there were years where I barely even got an email from him.
Same with my parents.
My mom was devestated by that.
I just hope he's really changed.

But I'm going to try to be positive and optimistic.
My parents helped by finding him a job and house.
Completely got it ready for when they arrived.
We set them up with a TON of lulu's old baby clothes and baby gear.
not to mention some great furniture that we had in storage (for the dream cottage we would love to buy some day)
Beautiful bedding, a sofa, tables, dining table & chairs, crib, bouncy chairs, car seats, baby toys, baby bath, all Lulu's sweet baby bedding and accessories...
You name it- we passed it on.
I wish I had a sister like me four years ago...
but for now they could use a helping hand.
And we are happy to oblige.
I just really hope it is appreciated.
We'll see.

I do have to say, that it was so hard to part with all of Lulu's tiny baby clothes that I hadn't seen in 3 1/2 years.
Very very emotional.
why is it that parting with baby clothes seems so...final?
it's just clothing and stuff after-all.
Even my mom was getting all sentimental when we were filling the dresser with all these cute little outfits.
It really had me thinking- is that it?
will I ever hold a baby of my own again?

But I am looking forward to meeting this newest member of the family- especially if she is wearing one of Lulu's adorable hand-me-downs.
She may not be my own- but I'm sure I'll love her and will love seeing Lulu with her tiny cousin.
I'm sure it will melt my heart.
Or completely annoy the hell out of me that she is puking all over that sweet Ralph Lauren cardigan that I gave her.
just kidding...

9 comments:

metro mama said...

I'm just starting to learn how hard it can be having more than 1 little one at family gatherings. It can also be pretty wonderful. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Olivia B. said...

Brothers are like that. Mine only calls when he wants something. The good thing about having girls is they take care of their parents when they get older.

Also, it totally sounds like you want another baby. (based on this and previous posts)

amanda said...

You are such a good sister. That was really sweet what you've done to help them out. Hopefully it will help them have a fresh start here and with their relationships here.

karengreeners said...

Good luck with the transition. No doubt it will be wonderful for Lulu.

b*babbler said...

Oh I do hope it works out for you all... And it IS amazing how much more we are willing to put up with if there is happiness to be gained from it for our kids.

Sonia said...

What a lovely thing you have done to help your brother and his family. So very generous and loving. I hope it all works out and that they appreciate all that you've done for them.

Tania said...

Wow! I too wish I had a sister like you about 4 years ago too. Sounds like your family is still tight, regardless of past drama.

Karen MEG said...

You'll find it amazing what parenthood can do to siblings, sometimes it's even for the better!

Been there, doing that, and seeing the little diva's hand me downs looking cuter than ever on almost 2 year old nieces :).

Hope it all works out and that the girls will be friends as well as cousins...

kittenpie said...

I gave most of my baby clothes to my friends, but I did keep back a few things that I thought were just too sweet to part with, for a very small box of childhood treasures.