Monday, April 06, 2009
what I love most about being a mom
I was recently tagged by Karen over at A Day In The Life and asked to put down into words Five things that I love most about being a mother.
That's' a tough one because there's so much.
1. I especially love being a mother to Lulu specifically.
but seriously, I feel so privileged to be her mother.
I just feel like she's just so beautifully special and unique, that I feel really proud to be her mom.
2. I love the feeling of her tiny soft hand when we hold hands- which thankfully is still often.
3. I love her cute giggles and when I can really make her laugh with a funny story about "when I was a little girl..."
she loves those stories- especially when they revolve around one of the many crazy dogs we had back when I was a kid.
"tell me the one about the doggies under the Christmas tree mommy!! again again!!"
she's my number one fan and I love it.
4. I love that being a mother makes me way more aware of everything around me- and makes me really and truly want to be a better person so that I can set a good example for my beautiful daughter.
5. I love that being a mother has brought me so much closer to my own mother- it has really taught me how special a mother and daughter relationship really is.
6. I love how much more centered and focused I have become since being a mother.
I really don't sweat the small stuff nearly as much as I did in the past.
7. I love how Lulu makes me do my very best to savour each and every day and to stop and smell the roses a bit more than I used to.
literally every time we walk by the flower shop on our block...
8. I love how being a mother has made me put less emphasis on material things and more about things that really matter.
Like family, health and happiness- in that order.
9. I love reading lulu her stories at bedtime and when she says to me "let's chat about our day mama..." then kissing her goodnight, dimming the lights just so, winding the music box, sneaking one more kiss and hug and saying "nite nite, sweet dreams and I'll see ya in the morning" and she repeats that back to me as I walk down the stairs.
10. I love when Lulu snuggles up in bed with me in the mornings and softly strokes my arm telling me how much she loves me and that "you're the best mama!"
11. I love spending time doing interesting things on the weekends that we might never have done if we didn't have a three year old. Like visiting local farms, the sugar shack, family festivals and museums.
12. I love everything about being a mother.
yes even the tears and tantrums, because although they are super frustrating, in the end, they teach me patience- never one of my strong suits.
Motherhood is one giant learning curve and I love that.
Okay I don't really love having to rush out the door to pick Lulu up after only a couple of hours of personal time (which never seems enough to really get much done- especial important things like writing a post)
As in I better get moving or she'll be the last one picked up today.
But I do love when she comes running over to me and gives me a huge hug and tells me how much she missed me, holds my hand and asks me what's on tap for the rest of the day together...
okay way more than five- but I couldn't help it.
Anyone else care to share what they love most about being a mother?