Tuesday, February 27, 2007

on the mend























So Lulu's tooth is still hanging in there.
It's a bit loose and fairly crooked, but hey, it's still in her mouth.
The main thing is that she's feeling better and doesn't seem to be traumatized by the ordeal at all.
On the contrary, she now points to her mouth and sais
" tooth better-boo boo- dentist fix"
(if you call pulling down her lower lip for 5 seconds and telling us to keep an eye on it-"fixing it")
and then she tells me all about the toys she got when she was there.
This dentist had a treasure chest filled with toys that the kids get to help themselves to.
very cool dentist if you ask me.
But I guess you could say it's been a bit of a bumpy ride over the past week.
In addition to the tooth incident, I really haven't been myself over the past few weeks because of some really bad lower back pain.
I figured it was just a pulled muscle or something like that, and nothing that a little Advil extra strength, a heating pad and some stretching wouldn't fix.
But I guess I was wrong.
The pain kept getting progressively worse, to the point that I've been wincing while trying to move.
Even putting on my pants in the morning was (is) excruciating.
Never mind constantly picking up a 24 lb. toddler all day long.
Finally today I decided to go to the doctor, and it turns out I might have some nerve damage and a possible slipped disc.
Fortunately it's nothing that can't be treated.
whew.
I'm far too active a person for a set back like this and I've never had any health issues to date.
It was however, a bit of a wake-up call.
I've really been neglecting myself over the past couple of years, not only emotionally but obviously physically as well.
I kept telling myself "I should be working out more, doing yoga, pilates and more ab work" but more for vanity reasons.
I really wanted to banish that muffin top once and for all.
But now I realize my entire well being is at stake.
It really sucks to be in pain.
It has pretty much every affected every aspect of my life.
I can't sleep, I don't have an appetite, I'm kind of irritable, our vacation was fun, but the back pain really put a damper on things, I can't really do much, especially run and play with Lulu, which is the worst part of it.
I will admit (and I've said it before) I can be a bit of a drama queen, but I just want to feel normal again and want this pain to go away.
I'm also really looking forward to big daddy getting home tonight.
He's been away since Thursday and I've really missed him while he's been gone.
Not just because I hate taking out the recycling, making the coffee in the morning or shovelling the driveway...
But because it's just not the same without him around here.
So once he gets home I'm hoping we will all be feeling back to normal.
Because there's still that one particular New Year's resolution that needs a bit of work..
wink wink, nudge nudge, wince wince.

6 comments:

metro mama said...

Oh, I hope you're top notch again soon. And Lulu too.

(Make him do the work in the meantime. And I don't mean shovelling the sidewalk.)

amanda said...

Oh, man, I'm so so sorry to hear about Lulu's accident. Poor thing. I have been having some problems with Blogger and tried to post a comment last week but no luck. I'm glad to hear she is doing better. I'm sorry to hear about your back too. It's amazing how pain can affect your everyday life... and sometimes make you feel so down, as well. Take care of yourself. I hope your feeling better soon.

kittenpie said...

I've been noticing, too, that the lugging around a 30-lb kid is taking its toll, especially since I never did get on those ab exercises I was meant to do to recover post-c-section. Ahem. Nearly three years ago...

I have been promising myself to start soon, trying to remember to check my posture, but perhaps this is my wakeup call too!

Mothers. "And ye shall know us by our bad backs."

Sarah said...

Hi there - just found you via a comment and wanted to say I really enjoy your posts! Sorry for all the pain and accidents in your house. It is super hard to not be at 100%, especially as a mom who wants to do everything all the time. I hope you all heal quickly!

Sheena said...

Hmmm... thanks for the reminder. I pulled something in my back running over hills last May and was almost incapacitated for the last half of the Argentina trip. Vowed to get back into yoga and weights as my own 'wake up call'.

Ahem... seem to have forgotten about it once the back pain subsided. Hope all is well with you and Lulu and thanks for the kick in the ass reminder

crazymumma said...

well I don't know how you are going to keep that new years resolution going with lower back issues...but hey thats just me.