Wednesday, February 28, 2007

stopping to smell the hibiscus

















I've mentioned in a previous post that I'm a "smell-o-holic".
I definitely have a super sensitive shnozz.
Sometimes this is a good thing and sometimes not so much.
Apparently I was even like this as a small child.
My mom was telling me a story about a time we were at a neighbour's house for dinner when I was around two or three,
and I had to use their bathroom.
But I refused to go in the bathroom because of the smell.
Unfortunately I announced it to everyone in the room.
I imagine the neighbour was quite horrified, but probably not as mortified as my mother was.
I'm sure it wasn't that bad, just not as clean as our home.
Then again, the only place cleaner than our house growing up was maybe the hospital,
and even that might not have been as sterile or clean as our place was.
I'm a bit of a neat freak myself, but no where near as fussy as my mother.
So I come by my O.C.D. naturally.
It appears I have passed down my smelling obsession gene to Lulu.
We were recently at Target, loading up on cool stationary, plastic cups & party favours, some super soft Thomas O'Brian white cotton towels, shoes & hair accessories for Lulu, props for work and last but not least some aromatherapy socks for me.
They smelled like lavender until I washed them...what can I say? I'm a sucker for aroma gimmicks.
If it smells good, it has to be good, right?
We went to the washroom to do a quick diaper change, when Lulu starts sniffing the air.
She had a completely disgusted look on her face.
"peeee-youuu!!!!!" she announces to everyone.
There were a bunch of giggles from behind the stalls.
Admittedly it was pretty offensive in there.
Now normally I carry a mini glade "fresh linen" air spray with me, but I couldn't seem to locate it.
Lulu was actually getting pretty distraught, and being a bit of a drama queen (like her mama), kept repeating herself
"peee-youuu! stinkyyyyy!!"
Then she puts her tiny finger up to head and sais "idea!"
"spay..."
Maybe she's a mind reader as well..hmm.
Just then a woman came out of the stall and offered to give the place a little freshen up with her mini glade "fresh linen" air freshener.
What a coincidence- our favourite brand.
Perhaps she was the culprit of the mysteriously nasty smell in the first place??
But who cares, she gave the place a few squirts and all was fresh and lovely.
Lulu was happy.
I was laughing.
The mystery lady was off the hook for the bomb she dropped and made it look like she was just there to save the day.
Now if I could just get her to stop sniffing my breath first thing in the morning and announcing
"stinky- breaff" ummm gee thanks Lulu.

4 comments:

Sheena said...

LOL.

When my kid brother was 4 or 5 and I was in my early 20s he heard me in the bathroom one time and when I came out he yelled throughout the household that he "could hear me peeing all the way down the hallway".

And I looked at him straight faced and informed him that "I wasn't peeing all the way down the hallway, I was peeing in the toilet". He actually got the joke, laughed and we I think we actually became friends that day.

kittenpie said...

ha! I was always pretty into smells too, though this winter I can't smell a damn ting. It must be nice to be little and get away with being so brutally honest sometimes, hey?

Gabriella said...

I'm a smelling type person too. The funny thing is I smell things even more strongly now,after I got pregnant, then ever before. And sometimes that's a bad thing!

amanda said...

Oh, that is soo me. The smelling thing. Too funny. My mom is a nurse too... and I grew up in crazy clean house. Isn't that funny? I love that you carry around the mini glade spray. Genius! On a completely unrelated note - don't you just love those T.O'B. cotton towels at Target? Love that place.