Thursday, February 18, 2010

play-dough


Big daddy & I seem to be trying to out-cool-craft each other these days.
Yesterday he made a "paper picnic and vegetable garden" with Lulu.
drawing, colouring and cutting out a complete set of veggies, soil, pots and gardening tools, plates, cutlery and even glasses of water.
when I got home the two of them were sitting on the floor having a "picnic."
very cute- and very creative.
So I felt I had to step it up and make some homemade play dough with Lulu today.
what can I say- we are a competitive family? ;
the recipe was given to me by mama-extraordinaire K-girl.
thanks k-girl.
it was a huge success- and we plan on making more colours when I buy some more salt from the grocery store.
When we ran out of the standard salt- Lulu suggested we use the Maldon sea salt instead.
that would be one expensive ball of play-dough.
so no thanks.

but here's the recipe for the perfect play-dough.

1 cup flour
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup water
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp cream of tartar

mix all ingredients in saucepan over med heat- stir constantly until ball forms
knead until smooth
enjoy hours of fun!

8 comments:

karengreeners said...

Isn't it the best! And I once ran out of table salt and finished the recipe w/kosher salt. Definitely not recommended, unless you like your playdough crunchy.

kurrabikid said...

We're big play dough fans in this house. You know what else is fun? Add a drop of any essence you have in the cupboard. Last weekend we made a pink play dough and put some drops of strawberry essence in it. Smelt yum - though you do have to remind the little'uns not to eat it. Cocoa (like the salt, only the cheapo stuff!!) is good to add too. Also, we sometimes put in a bit of glitter - sparkly play dough is extra fun. Another thing is to mix ALL the colours together and make SLIME-coloured play dough (or maybe that's only appealing to little boys!). See, told you: play dough tragic.

petite gourmand said...

kurrabikid- great ideas!
will give it a whoorl

Betsy Mae said...

Personally, I think homemade playdough has a much better consistency than the store bought kind. You can also add a package of koolaid for scent/colour, it works well (add it to the water).

I have a recipe for this slimy gunky stuff made with glue that is alot of fun too, a tad bit messy but fun and cleans up easily. Let me know if you want the recipe.


PS - Dads these days are amazing, I love that Big Daddy made a paper picnic etc. Also, thanks for the comment on my last post, I was feeling 'emotional' when I wrote that.

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
11111111 said...

Wow, looks good enough to eat!
(Can I eat it?)

Tania said...

A competition to out-cool-craft each other??? You guys are FREAKS!

kittenpie said...

Misterpie makes this recipe for his class regularly! I kind of like doing the kneading of that warm, smooth lump. Strange, but oddly comforting.