Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Summer Recap


As the summer is drawing to a close (though not according to the weather, 34 degrees today!) I find myself both a little bit melancholy and a little bit excited for the change of season.
This was a really fun summer without a doubt.
Experiencing summer break with a five year old has to be hands down one of life's greatest pleasures.
Everything is so new, so fun, so carefree.
I think for the most part we covered a lot of ground this year.
Tons of swimming, camps, day trips and soaking up all the fantastic summer weather as much as possible.
Food always tastes better when eaten outside am I right?
We managed to catch up with friends whom we hadn't seen in way too long.
We still missed a few- you know who you are and hopefully we'll see you sooner than later.
We really embraced the boat this year and had an amazing time spending the majority of the summer weekends on the lake.
Not that there were too many, but we made the most of rainy days and went to museums, art galleries and even some summer theatre.
Lulu has grown so much in the past 2 months- literally (2.5 inches!) and emotionally.
Sounds crazy, but lately when she goes to bed there's a little part of me that wants it to be morning so we can wake up and start a new summer day together.
I said little right?

Things I learned about my daughter this summer:
She doesn't like wearing shorts or anything with a zipper.
It's dresses, dresses and more dresses. No daisy dukes for my kid.
Wish I knew that when buying all those cute shorts at Old Navy at the beginning of the summer.
Speaking of Daisy Dukes...She likes Katie Perry.
Not quite sure what to say about this one except for- she didn't hear it here at casa petitegourmand.
Maybe it was at Camp? or at a friend's house? maybe a store? Or EVERYWHERE !!!
She's not the best at lip synchronisation and pretty much messes up the lyrics to every song.
The apple doesn't fall to far in this department.. ahem..
She LOVES to dance.
See above re: the apple tree.
She loves Mochi's, tofuti cutie pies, blue freezies and roasted marshmallow & chocolate mint gelato.
On a more healthy note, she finally likes strawberries, blueberries, melon, peaches, cherries, and watermelon- sans seeds.
She loves to coordinate coloured "diamond" sticker earrings to her outfits.
It's all about accessorizing these days.
She has a phobia about public washrooms and elevators.
I already mentioned the apple tree right?
She loves butterflies and can name the different types better than I can.
"look momma, it's a Giant Swallowtail, oh no wait, I think that's a Common Buckeye."
She is a complete water girl and has no fear whatsoever of lakes or swimming until her fingers are all waterlogged and wrinkly.
Could easily spend five hours straight colouring and drawing.
Literally. Maybe even eight hours come to think of it.
She is a bit of a leader and likes to share her creative games and ideas with others.
Is exceptionally sweet, funny, smart and completely beautiful.
I can say that because I'm her momma.
But it's %100 true.

Things I learned about myself this summer.
Taking personal time is beneficial to everyone in our family, not just me.
I am not a perfect mother, nor do I have to be. Mistakes are part of the journey.
I really love to workout and want to set new physical fitness goals for myself in the future.
I love female camaraderie and had an amazing summer connecting with my girlfriends and making new ones that I have lots in common with.
Decided I don't have to be friends or hang out with every parent at Lulu's school or our neighbours just because.
I'm very content with our family dynamic.
The number 3 has always been my lucky number after all.
I really need 8 hours of sleep at night- and thankfully that's been my summer reality.
I don't enjoy T.V. as much as I used to.
I mean how many episodes of L.A. Ink and The Next Food Network Star can a girl watch?
Then again, talk to me in January...
I still don't like swimming in lakes and most likely never will without slightly hyperventilating.
I still enjoy the creative process and am very content being behind the scenes and helping out with big daddy's biz and not working full time.
I love summer. Yes, even the part about having to don a bathing suit.
This was the first time ever that I really didn't give a rat's ass how white or spider veiny my legs look.
I'm healthy, happy and have a beautiful loving family- who cares what I look like sitting by the pool?
Speaking of which..
I love sitting by a pool.
Such a bonus that Lulu is swimming well enough now that I no longer have to be in the pool the entire time she is.
Within arms (or foam noodles) reach, yes, but not IN the pool.
Awesome.

So as much fun as we had this year and as sad as I am that yet another season is coming to an end, I am looking forward to the fall and the wonderful world of routine again.
I'm happy that our first year of kindergarten is behind us and we can start school without all the nervousness and uncertainty we had at this time last year.
Until then...I think it's time to run through the sprinkler and eat a nice cold blue freezie with my girl.

1 comment:

Tania said...

A beautiful post.