Friday, March 28, 2008

cabin cleaning


Why is it, that the more time you have, the less you seem to accomplish?
The opposite holds true as well.
For me the more I have on my plate, the more I seem to get done.
Once the wheels are in motion....
The past few weeks I've been trying to take advantage of the fact that for the first time in almost 6 months all of us are feeling healthy.
Me especially. Yay!
I've been trying to get as much spring cleaning done at home while the weather is still not great.
Because once the leaves turn green and the sun starts shining I don't plan on spending much time inside.
Not after this winter from hell. No-siree.
A major case of cabin fever set in during the month of Jan/Feb and now that I'm feeling like myself I want to purge everything in the house.
If I haven't used it in a year, sayonara.
So long junk.
So I've been on a mission to get rid of "stuff".
Where does it all come from?
Yeah yeah, I know I'm a big consumer...someone has to help keep the economy going strong...
And hey it's kind of part of my job.
Honest.
But seriously I have no idea why on earth I have so many glass vases?
I love fresh cut flowers but do I really need around 40 or so?
So I've edited it down to around 12ish..various sizes and shapes.
Much better.
And really, I love various types of olive oils and vinegar's, but things were really getting out of hand in the ol' condiment cupboard.
Do I really need 4 four different types of sesame oil?
Besides, that stuff does have an expiration date.
Hey...maybe that's why I've been feeling like crap all winter...
Damn that Pad Thai I made last September!
So I chucked a ton of half bottles etc.... and it feels so much more organized.
I think it had been at least four years (as in, when we moved in) since I cleaned out this particular cupboard.
And I always thought of myself as a neat freak.
Now when we have friends over I can say "come on in, can I get you a drink? hey check out the olive oil cupboard....."
Ah the life of a busy house wife.....have things really gotten that pathetic that cleaning out a kitchen cabinet or organizing a storage room makes my day??!
ah...yeah.
now what else can I organize?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that picture!

This post made me laugh and smile....about a month ago I cleaned out one cupboard and actually took a pic of it before and after and periodically I kept opening the cupboard up to see how great a job I did. Yes that's what it comes down to, neat cupboards gets us excited...hahaha

Glad you're feeling better!

Gab

...and so on it goes said...

You are very funny and you haven't changed a bit...I remember when you used to feel the need to completely redo your apartment periodically.

I am soooo glad to hear that you are feeling better and that you are happily getting things done around the house....I am in the same boat.

Love to Lulu and Big Daddy and when do we get that visit now that you are feeling better!!!!!!!

motherbumper said...

Come organize my place please.

Can I just say that i'm so freakin' happy that you finally FINALLY feel better.

Betsy Mae said...

Finally you are feeling better, thank goodness. What did the trick, didn't you say you saw a homeopath? Just wondering if you did something different to get better. Ohhhh the whole organzing, purging, cleaning subject.....near and dear to my heart....but I need help!

Anonymous said...

great news that you are feeling back to your ol' self. we cannot wait to see you guys..

if you are looking for a place to purge your extras.. look no further than 55 langmuir..

Tania said...

My clothes closet is available for your compulsions!

kittenpie said...

You could organize MY house...

We've been ignoring mountains of STUFF because we knew we'd be clearing our middle room out after the renos, so that my big project for the summer. Meanwhile, we've just been htrowing everything that doesn't have a oplace in there. But once I get started on it, anything that doesn't have a place is going OUT. I will be totally ready, after months of having two floors worth of stuff crammed into one while we do the work.

indigo herself said...

love the photo, very spring inspired and optimistic. the birds are starting to chirp more noticeably of late and it will indeed by nice not to have to wrestle with black ice and sky high snow banks. good idea to get to the spring cleaning out of the way early. i have wanted to do nothing but sleep today, i tell you. are you doing earth hour at your house?

amanda said...

I'm totally in spring cleaning mode as well... I love this time of year. Everything is cleaned-up and cleaned-out, windows are open, air is fresh... well, ok, the windows are not open today, but hopefully sometime soon. We went from 80 on Friday to 50 on Sunday. Boy this winter is dragging.

Sarah said...

Indeed...I love that feeling of getting rid of things you just don't need. Last night, at 9 p.m. - it was my closet. No real reason why...but it did feel so great! ha ha...