Monday, June 09, 2008

first mate

I had such a relaxing weekend and I was a bit sad to have it come to an end this morning.
Lulu loved being at my parents and truth be told big daddy & I were in desperate need of a little break.
We spent a fair bit of time at home just enjoying the freedom of uninterrupted conversations, no schedules and geez barely even running the dishwasher.
what is it about kids and all their cups, bowls, plates and other kiddie paraphernalia?
One night we just stayed in and barbecued and enjoyed the back yard together.
The next we went out for a casual sushi dinner, enjoying walking in the city past 8 p.m.
I so miss taking a nice stroll around the neighbourhood at night.
It really is the simple things....
Then on Friday after a long week of work, we decided to have dinner on the boat.
Oh did I forget to mention that big daddy bought a boat?
(please don't hate me.....)
yes he got a boat and although I had reservations about it, I am sooo glad he did.
It rocks!
I've only been on it a couple of times, but each time I was on Lulu patrol and watching her like a hawk making sure she was safe.
So it was a real luxury to just relax, enjoy the sunset and have dinner with big daddy on the water.
Saturday we got up and did an early morning yoga class together.
Yes together!
I was so impressed that big daddy decided to join me.
what a guy.
Then we spent the rest of the day back on the boat exploring Toronto island and loving every second of the day.
We went out for a really nice dinner, but truth be told I would have been just as happy throwing a few burgers on the bbq, but I felt we had to take full advantage of the child-free weekend and go out.
Sunday I made my morning check-in call to see how Lulu was doing- up until Sunday she barely said two words to me on the phone because she was too excited to be at grandma & grandpas' place, but by day four she was asking to come home.
Say no more.
Her wish was our command.
within 10 minutes big daddy was in the car to pick her up, three hours later she was home safe and sound.
She was so happy to be home and we surprised her with a kiddie pool in the backyard filled with all her water toys.
We spent the day just relaxing by (in) the "pool" with our little gal.
And although Thursday, Friday & Saturday were relaxing and a real treat, nothing compared to how nice it was spending Sunday together.
Our little family of three.
so glad she's back.
Drag that I had to say good-bye again this morning when the babysitter picked her up at 9 a.m.
Sometimes I guess all it takes is a little time apart to realize how precious lulu is to us and how lucky we are to have her in our lives.
There is much to be grateful for.
especially big daddy, because without him none of these things would be possible.
love u big d & thanks for a wonderful weekend xox


amanda said...

I'm glad to hear you had a great extended weekend together! You needed it. And how exciting about the boat! That is definitely a major thing I miss about living near Lake Michigan - the boating. So much fun.

It's so good to have time away from the little ones (and time alone together) - it makes you better parents.

Sarah said...

Sounds like the perfect week for you guys! Congrats!
long evening walks are something I also really, really miss. In fact, I am kind of excited, in a way, for the kids to get bigger and have a bedtime past 7:30 p.m. so we can do more in the evenings like that.

motherbumper said...

Sounds beautiful - you deserve it. And I miss sailing so much. My coworker had a 35 footer with her husband and we used to go out on the Arm after work most summer nights to drink beer and bbq (in Halifax). Fond memories.

And Lulu is such a great kid.

Anonymous said...

This was a nice post! And boat!! Good thinking Big Daddy!!

kittenpie said...

Sounds idyllic!

Julie said...

Let us know if you ever need crew! Sean and I have our White Sail 3...