Monday, October 09, 2006

thanksgiving


It's a good thing that there is a specific day on the calendar to remind me to take a step back and figure out exactly what I have to be thankful for.
It's pretty easy to get caught up in all the things you WANT out of life, instead of just being grateful for all the things you already HAVE.
Over the past few years I have plenty to be thankful for, and I am feeling especially grateful this year in particular.
so here are a few of the things that I am pretty thankful for in my life.

FAMILY.
I can't really put into words how grateful I am to have such a beautiful daughter & loving husband.
These two people are the reason I smile every single day and they give me more happiness than I could ever imagine.
well at least the majority of the time....
I am also fortunate to have such supportive and loving parents that are a very big part of my life.
I couldn't imagine not being able to chat on the phone or seeing them on such a regular basis.
All the extended family, brothers, cousins, aunts, uncles and my Nan.
A very quirky, but very close group of people, that I am very proud to call my family.
and yes this even includes Big daddy's side of the family...those crazy in-laws...but you gotta love'em.
Family is really the most important thing to me.

FRIENDS.
in addition to having such a great family I am really thankful to have so many good people in our life.
Having such an ecclectic group of friends, is something I am really grateful for.
I just wish I was able to see them more often.
it's amazing how busy life can be.
But whether I get the chance to visit in person or just have the occasional phone call or email,
I'm glad to have each one of them in my life.

HEALTH.
It's a shame that most of us don't really appreciate our good health until it's too late and we get sick.
I have watched a few people in my life deal with poor health, and it's really unfortunate and frustrating.
I'm feeling especially lucky these days to be feeling probably the healthiest I've ever been.
I guess I can attribute that to excercise, a healthy diet and lower stress levels.
Damn, I hope I didn't just jinx myself...I'm going to take a multi vitamin...

HOME.
I really love my country. city. neighbourhood. street.
"oh canada, our home and native....blah blah blah"
hi my name is corn ball and I AM CanadIAN!
but seriously,
It's pretty easy to look at other houses in better neighbourhoods and think, I want that.
But today I'm really trying to think, this is MY street, and how lucky am I to live here?
Okay okay, if I could really have it my way I would be saying....this is MY vineyard....
while sitting on my verandah of my chateau, in Chalon Sur-Saone in the heart of Burgundy france.
or err...geez I'm gratefull for my 1920's style semi in mid town toronto.....
uh yeah, I am thankful for that.

GOOD FORTUNE.
It's so great to be able to do what you love.
and both big daddy and I do just that.
It's pretty great being able to go to work and (for the most part) enjoy the projects you get to work on.
I'm also EXTREMELY grateful that we are in a pretty unique position that allows me the opportunity to continue working
part-time/free-lance and raise our daughter full time.
I am reallllly grateful that I have that option, when I know so many women who are not as fortunate.
I am very very thankful for that.
though I have to admit, lately I have been really missing being able to work more and take on more jobs.
But more on that in another post.
Today I am just thankful for where I'm at.

SEASONS.
I am so glad to live in a climate that has four distinct seasons.
Especially autumn.
The colour of the the leaves these days leaves me speechless.
We spent the weekend taking long walks looking at all the georgous colours.
It's natures way of reminding us to pay attention....

There's so many other things that I'm thankful for, even the small stuff...
Like for example,
the roasted maple pecan nuts and aged Alex Farm Cheddar we had yesterday.
Or the bottle of 2000 Stratus White we enjoyed with our Organic free range Cumbrae's turkey breast with an orange, wiskey glaze...
or the tarragon mashed potatoes...
or the carmelized shallot green beans...
or the roasted acorn squash...
or the individual homemade pumpkin flans....
But best of all, I grateful for the leftovers....mmm.
happy thanksgiving!
what are you thankful for?

4 comments:

Sheena said...

yay Stratus!!!

Nice post. I missed thanksgiving this year because of business travel. Hope to make up for it with half the menu you had...

Most thankful for my family and friends and the man in my life who doesn't think my world is too weird and screwy to tolerate.

metro mama said...

I'm thankful for so much.

Could you send me your email address--I have something to send you! metro_mama@hotmail.com

myredwagon said...

Family, friends, seasons, Canada...you got it right. There is so much to be thankful for. I am also thankful for this great community I've found.

Anonymous said...

perfect. happy belated thanksgiving!!! (oh you have made me homesick...)