Tuesday, December 12, 2006

say cheese


Lulu has become quite particular about food lately.
dare I say she has unleashed her inner-diva?
when it comes to food, it's starting to get more and more difficult to get her to eat.
My pediatrician sais we should be moving away from jarred baby food by now,
yet it's really the only thing I can get her to eat these days.
Even that has become a bit of a battle.
She won't eat chicken, fish or beef.
It's either ham or nothing.
Is this normal??
I just hope my mother in law never finds out about this love of ham.
Or as big daddy likes to refer to it "pink chicken"
not exactly kosher.
It's difficult not to get too worked up about her fluctuating appetite.
I just want to make sure she is getting enough fruit, veg and protein in her diet.
Some days she will literally only have cereal, a jar of peas and a tiny bit of ham.
She will eat avocado, hummus and a bit of pita on occasion.
blueberries, strawberries, mandarin orange and banana are tolerated.
Whole-wheat pasta with tomato sauce (& hidden blended spinach) and parmesan cheese are usually accepted with a bit of coaxing.
I've had to toss out many a batch of nice home-made meals that I have so lovingly prepared for her.
But if all else fails, I can always crack out the fromage.
She never sais no to a bit of cheese.
like mother like daughter.
This past weekend she's decided she likes truffle cheese
(with carrs crackers and a "dip" of red wine) of course.
we had to keep her away from the Romans Part Dieu and the Bleu de Gex.
not sure if unpasturized cheese is okay or not for 19 month olds.
but let's not even get into the whole pasteurized or unpasteurized debate..
things are pretty tense here in Toronto on that particular subject these days.
I'm just glad Lulu isn't lactose intolerant.
Now THAT would be great cause for concern.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been checking out your blog for months... love your photos. We are big foodies too. My mother-in-law is french and my brother-in-law studied at the Cordon Bleu in Paris... so we're a little spoiled in the food department. What is my point? I don't know. Lulu (who is such a cutie, by the way) sounds like she is doing just fine with food. My neice ate nothing but chicken nuggets and hot dogs for two whole years. Disgusting. Anyway, I think most kids go through the picky stage.

Anonymous said...

I've been checking out your blog for months... love your photos. We are big foodies too. My mother-in-law is french and my brother-in-law studied at the Cordon Bleu in Paris... so we're a little spoiled in the food department. What is my point? I don't know. Lulu (who is such a cutie, by the way) sounds like she is doing just fine with food. My neice ate nothing but chicken nuggets and hot dogs for two whole years. Disgusting. Anyway, I think most kids go through the picky stage.

Gabriella said...

Samantha and Lulu must be sisters, she too can survive on cheese alone! And I'm with you on the frustrations of throwing out homemade meals made for her!

karengreeners said...

i well know how maddening it is when a meal ends up on the floor.

bee, at 19-months old is going through pretty much the same thing. one day she eats lentils, tofu, broccoli and kale; the next, it's special k or nothing.

I'm not sure how she even knows what special k tastes like, but i've decided that not even the most stubborn of toddler will starve herself, and that this too shall pass.

moplans said...

What a cute little food diva!
Mine is much the same. She feasts on everything one day and then only goldfish the next.
You just do your best and then bring out the cheese.

pink chicken.... yes that is a good one to keep from the mother in law.

sam lamb said...

Sadie had an all-ham diet not long ago, thank goodness kosher isn't an issue around here. She has a dairy/egg allergy so we've learned to just feed her whatever she wants because there isn't as much to choose from. It's nutrition over time...I hope.

This month's passion? Meatballs - and plenty of them! I think Lulu has it right, cheese is divine.

kittenpie said...

It's a toddler thing. I hid all kinds of stuff in little "toddler casseroles" made of rice, lentils, and jarred veg as sauce. Or pasta instead of rice. And I mixed the baby flakes into yogurt with extra jarred fruit added in. But really, my friend told me one of hers lived on cheerios and apple slices for months. 'salright.

Anonymous said...

HIYA!
Thanks for the lovely entries. I loved COCA too, and Seoul City was delish!!
I also have bought a crockpot...wow, we are in sync! Have you found any wonderful receips?so far i've only made copious amounts of brown rice, which, while tasty aren't worth the 4 points PER CUP!
I'm TRYING to get back on the WW Plan, as i' have fallen off the wagon....argh!
you'll have to talk some sense into me. hope to see you soon.xo

jb