Friday, June 02, 2006

merci


I've come down from my NYC buzz.
but I do feel re-energized and inspired.
unfortunately, poor lulu still has a bad heat rash from the weekend, it was damn hot.
So now we have to endure A.C.
that's the big drag about summer. It's often too hot to bring small kids outside to play.
I like the heat, but she's definitely her father's daughter and doesn't like being overly warm.
But this works out well because I'm working on a freelance project this week which entails being inside.
last week when I was at the gym I overheard a woman complaining to her trainer about how she just doesn't like her career anymore. She had a very successful corporate position, but was feeling unfulfilled.
She described the type of job she would love to do.
Something creative & flexible.
a job where she can be in different environments and meet lots of different people.
possibly lucrative but that wasn't essential as her husband does well enough.
something that would allow her to spend more time with her kids.
something that she was truly passionate about.
I felt really bad for her.
But she basically described my career.
I know alot of people really don't like or love their jobs.
I'm not one of them.
I feel really really lucky.
sometimes I feel guilty because of it.
How did I get so fortunate?
A great husband, a beautiful daughter, loving family (well pretty quirky, but loveable nonetheless)
I live in a great neighbourhood, I'm healthy, I have a cool job...
I'm not overly religious, but I feel like lately, someone has really been looking out for me up there.
Not everything in my life is perfect, but it's the closest it's ever been.
I'm grateful, but it also scares the crap out of me.
I've paid my dues.
I've lived in crappy neighbourhoods (that are now considered cool)
I dated some real losers.
I've had some serious issues with my mother over the years (therapy is an amazing thing)
I've had to put up with lots of long days at work, dealing with lots of well...strong personalities.....to put it kindly.
so I guess it's okay to rejoice a little.
It just feels so foreign.
It's much easier to bitch and complain about stuff than to sit down and take a deep breath and say,
Thank-you.

5 comments:

Heather Bea said...

Rejoice in your life, you have what many of us are striving for out of our lives. I have a great family, I love our little house, city, neighborhood, but something is missing. I posted about it recently and received a bunch of responses from mamas saying they wanted to find something like that too. Congrats to you.

Anonymous said...

Part of the reason I so enjoy your blog is for the quiet beauty you bring to it through your images and the thoughtfullness and warmth (and humor) in your words.

Congratulations on your success. Kudos for taking the time to say thanks.

Anonymous said...

Not only are you talented, but gracious. I like that in a person!

I am coming out of my matleave wanting to continue and focus on my work as a freelance journalist. I would really like to upgrade my camera and begin taking my own photos with my columns.

Could please tell me what equipment you use? Camera, flash etc? I can be reached via email at winenymph@gmail.com TIA

Love your work and love your writing!

petite gourmand said...

thanks anonymous for your comment,
much appreciated.
I actually just use my canon Sd300 elf.
it's not a professional camera, but it takes great pics.
I try to use available light, and in particular certain times of the day work best (usually late afternoon or very early morning)
I'm not a professional photographer, but I work with lots of them, so I've learned a few things.
I just have my camera handy at all times. I don't think I leave the house with out it.
It's great taking so many snaps of lulu, so that we are able to email and share with all of our family and friends that don't live close.
Technology is a wonderful thing.
enjoy your last bit of mat-leave,
and best of luck getting back into the groove.

The Domesticator said...

NYC is a fabulous place to visit. This is a beautifully written post. You are probably blessed in life because you live in grace...remembering to be thankful. Besides, you've obviously made some good choices! :)

PS...this is bad. I just went to to type in the word verification and this is what I have to type in: bxpfuckk...hmmm...someone is messing with me. *heehee*